What does a reference management program do?
- Creates and manages individual or shared literature databases (collects, organises, searches, comments on references)
- Searches and imports data from library catalogues and specialist databases (interface to online databases)
- Outputs and formats reference lists (for theses, research articles, applications, documentation)
- Collaborates with text processing (inserts and links references directly so that e.g. a reference management update is instantly updated on the relevant working papers)
- Manages electronic documents (PDFs, images, e-books, websites)
Which software is suitable for me?
- Most programs allow you to import and export collected reference data in standardised formats, so you can switch between various programs while still accessing the same data collection
- When making your choice, you could also consider what is used around you in your working environment to help provide mutual support and for the easiest cooperation.
- The following sites will help with choosing the suitable software: