Adopt a book – preserve cultural values
Inadequate storage or too much or incorrect handling in earlier years put many older media in academic libraries at risk – they become mouldy, decay or rot. Current conservation techniques can save many of these endangered manuscripts, prints, books or large-format media. However, annual budget funds suffice only for the repairs and conservation measures that occur in everyday life.
Why not act now – adopt a book.
Every donation counts
Even small amounts help with protective measures for the various media.
- Protective containers for the proper storage of media
- Digitalisation to protect the valuable originals
- Cleaning work, deacidification, repairs
Major conservation or restoration methods for the long-term preservation of the collections.
- Dry cleaning in the event of mould infestation
- Ink corrosion treatment of the affected pages in manuscripts
- Stabilisation of degraded parts of pages with Japan paper
- Consolidation work on valuable bindings
Interested? Then contact us. We'll choose the right object for you to adopt – together.
Dr. Silvia Uhlemann
Head of Historical Collections