ULB opens again
The ULB Stadtmitte opens again on Friday 3 July 2020 with limited services and opening hours.
Opening hours on 03.07.2020:
ULB Stadtmitte: 10:00 am to 2:00 pm
ULB Lichtwiese: closed
Due to the modified opening hours all bookings for work places on Friday afternoon are cancelled. Bookings for Friday morning remain valid till 1:30pm.
For borrowing books please use the self check machines. For returning books make use of the return shelves. Reminder fees can be payed at the payment machine.
Athene Cards can be collected in the basement at ULB Stadtmitte between 10:00am and 2:00pm.
The ULB Stadtmitte will be open again next week. However, a decision on opening hours and services has not yet been taken. Please inform yourself on a daily basis on our website.
TUfind – the search portal of the ULB Darmstadt
Important Information on Library Usage
- At the moment we offer only limited services. Please see Our Services for you
- The ULB allows access mainly for borrowing and returning media at the moment.
- Please use your face mask and show your library card / Athene card when entering the library. A maximum of 20 persons in ULB Stadtmitte, 15 persons in ULB Lichtwiese is allowed into the building.
All events and activities of the ULB in the summer term (workshops, coffee lectures, consultations) are offered online.
Our services for you
Presently, advice on site can only be given to a limited extend. Till further notice you can contact us from Monday to Friday between 8am and 3pm by mail or by phone (Stadtmitte: +49 6151 16-76210, Lichtwiese: +49 6151 16-76400). Due to a great number of incoming questions the processing of your request may be delayed.
Of course, you may also consult the subject librarian responsible for your field of study.
During the above mentioned opening hours you can pick your books directly from the open access shelves and check them out by yourself.
- Please look all media up in TUfind beforehand to make sure they are available and to keep your stay in the library as short as possible.
- Media which have to be ordered from closed stacks or from another site are provided by us. You receive a message by mail as soon as they are ready for collection.
- Entrance to the library is only allowed with your face mask and your library card / Athene card.
- A maximum of 20 persons in ULB Stadtmitte, 15 persons in ULB Lichtwiese is allowed into the building.
Media can be returned at ULB Stadtmitte from Monday to Friday between 10am and 4pm, Thursday between 10am and 6pm and at ULB Lichtwiese Tuesday to Thursday between 10am and 4pm. The media have to be replaced into the returning shelved provided there.
Borrowed media have not been reminded until 01 June 2020. As from 02 June 2020 the dunning process has started again. Please remember to give back or to renew your books in time!
Overdue fines due till 13 March 2020 (last opening day before library shut down) will not rise further but have to be paid.
The fees can only be paid electronically on site (Athene cash card, EC card), cash payment is not accepted.
Electronic media are available in an even greater extent than before and are accessible from home. Apart from the documents in regular open access, many publishers offer an augmented range of free publications for the time of the Corona crisis. For more information see our summary Electronic Media and Offers from Electronic Publishers.
Due to infection prevention we kindly ask our customers to go on working and learning at home. Please visit the library for working and learning only in urgent cases as the available space is strictly limited.
Starting 11 May the ULB offers a strictly limited number of work spaces which can be used only short term.
- ULB Stadtmitte
Monday to Friday
period A: 10:00am – 12:30am, period B: 1:30pm – 4:00pm
- ULB Lichtwiese
Tuesday and Thursday
period A: 10:00am – 12:30am, period B: 1:30pm – 4:00pm
Work spaces have to be booked online. Workplaces which have not been taken within 30 minutes will be assigned to someone else.
Only one person is allowed per work space, groups of two or more people are not permitted. The works spaces have to be cleared by the end of the period without being told to do so.
The works spaces have to be cleared by the end of the period without being told to do so. Hygiene regulations must always be observed, they will be controlled and infringements will be penalised. Please act in solidarity and in considerate manner towards other students and occupy work spaces only when you need them urgently.
The newly issued or replacement Athene Karte are handed out at a special desk in the basement of ULB Stadtmitte which can be entered from outside.
Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 10am to 1pm and 3pm to 5pm
Entrance is allowed individually and with face mask. The Athene Karte is handed over only personally on presentation of a valid passport or identity card. The card can also be charged at the charging station on-site.
For more information about the Athene Karte see:
After consultation with their subject librarian subject librarian, TU lecturers may purchase by themselves printed books they urgently need for research or teaching and may order them home.
Giving them to the library and reimbursing the costs may take place later.
As a lecturer or student of the TU you may order scans of scientific papers or parts of books (maximum 100 pages, not more than 10 % of the entire work) for free.
Please use the request form for scan services and TU delivery.
For books and other media with restricted use (e.g. manuscripts, incunabula) and interlibrary loans to be read within the premises of the library, we offer the online service to view the item by webcam..
Lecturers may order digitized documents from the ULB for their digital reserve shelves.
For more information see Digital Reserve Shelves.
- Advice on digital publishing is available by mail or online via zoom.
- First and second publications, electronic dissertations will continue to be processed and published.
- Dissertations and postdoctoral theses can be delivered by post: ULB Darmstadt , Digital Publishing Team , Magdalenenstr. 8, 64289 Darmstadt
- Receipts for dissertations and habilitations are currently sent out once a week.