Open Access Publishing Fund
TU Darmstadt supports the free access to scientific information, to all sources of human knowledge and to the cultural heritage, in short the idea of open access.
Publishing in an open access journal can be associated with so called article processing charges (APCs) to account for the costs of e.g. the submissions handling and the review process. These costs have often to be paid by the authors.
TU Darmstadt promotes publishing of research articles in open access journals from January 2017 onwards by creating an open access publishing fund for its members. This fund can be used to pay the article processing charges. TU Darmstadt's open access publishing fund is supported by the German Research Foundation (DFG).
Prerequisites for subsidies
The costs for your open access article may be paid by TU Darmstadt's OA publishing fund, if…
- … the submitting / corresponding author is a member of TU Darmstadt.
- … the article is or will be published in a genuine open access journal, i.e. all articles in this journal have to be published in a gold open access model immediately. Hybrid open access models of traditional journals (so called “Open Choice”) do not satisfy this criterion.
- …the journal applies a rigid, discipline-specific review process. The journal should be listed in the Directory of Open Access Journals.
- …the total article processing charge does not exceed the amount of 2.000 € (incl. 19% VAT). A proportionate refunding of higher costs is not possible.
- … the invoice for the article processing charge dates in 2017 or later.
Procedure of reimbursement
There are two possible ways for using the open access fund. We recommend in any case to contact us (contact details on the right) to clarify, if your article fulfills the prerequisites for funding.
Central invoicing to the ULB
We have automated invoicing agreements with the following publishers:
If you are the corresponding author of an article published in a journal of these open access publishers, and if your article fulfills the prerequisites above, the invoice will be addressed directly to the ULB.
Invoicing to the corresponding author
If you are the corresponding author of an article in an open access journal of any other publisher, you are welcome to send an informal message to firstname.lastname@example.org-… with the following information:
- Copy of the invoice as a PDF document
- DOI of your article (alternatively the journal's name and the title of your article)
- Your affiliation at TU Darmstadt
If your article fulfills the prerequisites above, the open access fund will cover the costs and pay the amount directly to the publisher. The invoice should be addressed to an address at TU Darmstadt and contain the net costs (excl. VAT).
Please refer in either case to the support by the Open Access Publishing Fund of TU Darmstadt: “We acknowledge support by the German Research Foundation and the Open Access Publishing Fund of Technische Universität Darmstadt.”