Corona Pandemic: Current Information from the Library
- At the moment we offer only limited services. Please see Our Services for you
- Please use your medical mask and show your library card / Athene card when entering the library. Only a limited number of users are allowed in the buildings.
- All users are required to wear medical masks during their entire stay in the ULB.
Dear users of the University and State Library,
we are pleased that we can currently extend the opening hours of the libraries bit by bit. It is very important to us that we can reliably offer you access times that are as long as possible and thus also give back some university normality in times of pandemic. Even under difficult conditions, comprehensive support and advice is important to us.
At the same time, your safety and health are important to us. Our library buildings are rooms where people come together. Therefore, we must ensure that here, as in the entire university, a safe hygiene concept is in place that is appropriate to the current state of the pandemic. Our hygiene plan was developed in cooperation with the Occupational Safety Department of the TU. In addition to many other measures, it provides for us to work with fixed teams that do not meet each other and who could also stand in for each other across locations should infection or quarantine cases arise. We have organized our duty rosters accordingly.
For you this means: At the ULB Stadtmitte access is possible daily (Monday to Friday) from 09:00am to 05:00pm (from 02. November on: 09:00am to 07:00pm), during which time all basic services are offered. In addition, teams are available daily (Monday to Friday) from 09:00am to 01:00pm for services such as specialist enquiries, advice, handling of problem cases or other procedures requiring specialist staff. The ULB Lichtwiese is open on Tuesdays to Thursdays from 10:00am to 04:00pm, during which time all services are available.
This arrangement enables us to combine safety and service. We can act flexibly if the situation requires it, and still offer you the longest possible opening hours and good service.
Our Services for you
Presently, advice on site can only be given to a limited extend. Till further notice you can contact us from Monday to Friday between 8am and 3pm by phone
- ULB Stadtmitte: +49 6151 16-76210
- ULB Lichtwiese: +49 6151 16-76400
We will gladly answer yourmail.
Due to a great number of incoming questions the processing of your request may be delayed. You can therefore also contact the responsible specialist team:
During the opening hours you can pick your books directly from the open access shelves and check them out by yourself.
- Please look all media up in TUfind beforehand to make sure they are available and to keep your stay in the library as short as possible.
- Media which have to be ordered from closed stacks or from another site are provided by us. You receive a message by mail as soon as they are ready for collection.
- Entrance to the library is only allowed with your medical mask and your library card / Athene card.
- All users are required to wear medical masks during their entire stay in the ULB. A maximum of persons is allowed into the building.
Interlibrary loans can still be placed. However, due to the Corona-pandemic many German libraries are closed or work only to a limited extend so that books may be delivered with delay.
Media can be returned during the current opening hours. The media have to be replaced into the returning shelved provided there.
The fees can only be paid electronically on site.
Delayed Debiting of EC Card payments
Due to technical problems of our payment provider the debiting of EC card payments may be delayed. Therefore, overdue fees which have been payed by EC card at the beginning of this year will be drawn from your account in the next coming weeks. All EC card payments are documented so that there will be no double bookings. The payment provider is working hard to execute the remaining debits. We apologize for this inconvenience.
Electronic media are available in an even greater extent than before and are accessible from home. Apart from the documents in regular open access, many publishers offer an augmented range of free publications for the time of the Corona crisis. For more information see our summary Electronic Media and Offers from Electronic Publishers.
Due to infection protection we request you to carry on working and learning at home and to visit the library only in urgent cases.
The ULB offers a limited number of workplaces which are to be used by only one person at a time. Working in groups of two or more people is strictly forbidden. Hygienic regulations must be strictly adhered.
Workplaces can only be occupied when booked. They have to be cleared at the end of the booked time without a call. Workplaces booked in advance which are not taken within 30 minutes after the booked time has started, will be cancelled. Workplaces booked while the time is already running and which are not taken within 30 minutes after the booking time, will be cancelled, as well.
When booking a workplace you receive a ticket with QR-code which is only valid in combination with your Athene- or ULB-card.
Please show Athene- or ULB-card and ticket without being asked when entering the library.
Monday to Friday
Period A: 09:00am – 01:30pm
Period B: 02:30pm – 07:00pm
Tuesday to Thursday
Period A: 10:00am – 12:30pm
Period B: 01:00pm – 04:00pm
Research Reading Room
The Research Reading Room can only be used by prior appointment. You will receive the link to the appointment reservation by mail.
Currently, the daily newspapers are not displayed in the reading room. The following newspapers can also be viewed online:
- Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung 1993 ff and Frankfurter Rundschau: at TU workstations (library and campus)
- Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung 1949-1992: only on computers in the library Stadtmitte and Lichtwiese
- Süddeutsche: for TU members also from outside via VPN
You can also search for articles from daily newspapers in the WISO database, available in the network of the TU Darmstadt, for authorised users also via VPN.
All events and activities of the ULB (workshops, coffee lectures, consultations) are offered online until further notice.
After consultation with their subject librarian subject librarian, TU lecturers may purchase by themselves printed books they urgently need for research or teaching and may order them home.
Giving them to the library and reimbursing the costs may take place later.
As a lecturer or student of the TU you may order scans of scientific papers or parts of books (maximum 100 pages, not more than 10 % of the entire work) for free.
Please use the request form for scan services and TU delivery.
For books and other media with restricted use (e.g. manuscripts, incunabula) and interlibrary loans to be read within the premises of the library, we offer the online service to view the item by webcam..
Lecturers may order digitized documents from the ULB for their digital reserve shelves.
For more information see Digital Reserve Shelves.
- Advice on digital publishing is available by mail or online via zoom.
- First and second publications, electronic dissertations will continue to be processed and published.
- Dissertations and postdoctoral theses can be delivered by post: ULB Darmstadt , Digital Publishing Team , Magdalenenstr. 8, 64289 Darmstadt
- Receipts for dissertations and habilitations are currently sent out once a week.
We are happy to receive your book suggestions expecially for electronic media. Please let us know your suggestions via the acquisition request form.